Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lots of updates to come shortly but just a quick one to start.  First off, good morning!  I hope everyone's having a good start to their day.

It's a natural progression I assume when taking up fly fishing, but I've found myself gathering tools and materials over the past few weeks and have begun fly tying!  The first few attempts have been....I'll just say it, very ugly.  They say that the fish don't care what a fly looks like, but I beg to differ.  Regardless, my tying has gotten a lot better and at least I have collar hackles, dubbing, and wing tie-ins down so far.  No pictures yet and I'm not sure what quality I'll get without a macro lens but I'll try and put some up tonight.

A few fly tying resources:
- The Fly-Tying Bible by Peter Gathercole:
I liked this book because of the clear descriptions on both tools and materials, excellent step-by-step directions, and nice big pictures.
Buddy Sanders' Post #10 on Page #1:
The link is to a description oh how to use plain old gloss lacquer from Home Depot along with lacquer thinner as a head cement.  I love it.  It's so shiny, it dries quickly, and if I need lacquer around the house, I have some. As a vessel, I just bought some very small 1 oz solvent containers from Joann's (paint section) with lids and apply with toothpicks!  Speaking of Joann's....
Joann's Website
So far I've gotten, two Gingher embroidery scissors, peacock eyes, goose biots, partridge plummage, threaders, lacquer containers, yarn (regular cotton yarn with boot waterproofing spray applied really does ride nice and high), and beads.  And finally for more fly tying materials...
Hook and Hackle Website
I really like when there are descriptions to different tools and materials that I've never seen before and pair variety with that and you're golden.  Good prices too.
- Fly Shack
Link is under the fly fishing outfitters section.  Just more tools and materials, 100 count hooks can be had for nice prices.  Just a general thought, high volume consumables like hooks are probably made in only a few factories around the world.  Just like LiDestri in the Rochester area, different brands of sauce call for different recipes.  So too are hooks I hypothesize with different formations, heat treatments, and coatings for each brand.

So much for a short update lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment