Friday, September 9, 2011

Introduction

Hello everyone, I'm Dale and I'm from the Chili area of Rochester, NY. I relocated here from Albany to go to school at RIT in 2003. After going to school for 5 years and obtaining my degree, I realized that this is where I wanted to stay and work and perhaps start a family. Fast forward to today. I live with my wonderful, beautiful girlfriend and work at the same company that hired me right after I graduated.
I've been a spin fisher since I was about 8 and recently became interested in fly fishing after my girlfriend mentioned she drives by Spring Creek in Caledonia daily on the way to work. Wonderfully excited about catching my first trout ever, I researched a bit on how to catch these (apparently) finicky, picky fish.  The immediate solution was picking up a bunch of flies, sliding on a bubble bobber, and winging that setup out there with my light spinning outfit.  Needless to say, those first couple outings were rough...

With a bit more determination and knowledge about trout fishing with a fly, something clicked and I caught my first ever trout!

~10" Brown Trout, first one ever! 8/18/2011
How he managed to stay on the line is a mystery to me....I took forever reeling him in, I didn't set the hook, I couldn't get him in the net, my pounding heart was messing with my brain....but I caught him! I even managed to take a few pictures!

I also still don't know at what point I was hooked onto this kind of fishing.  Maybe its just all new and exciting.  Maybe it was all the reading and youtube watching about fishing with a fly.  Maybe it was catching that first fish.  But if I knew anything it was that I needed to get into the real thing, fly fishing with a fly rod, some fly line and leader, and tiny tippets....

No comments:

Post a Comment