Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May Steel?!

Got out to the Genny earlier this evening for some late spring steel.  It was the highest I've ever fished it successfully at a gauge reading of ~2,800 CFS.  I'm not sure I'd visit at much higher flows for swinging as much of the bank disappears and the change in depth of the (now underwater) banks varies too much for my liking.

Turbidity was perfect considering the higher flow at 20 and water temperature was downright balmy at 55F!  Perfect swinging conditions and those chromers responded!  3 hooked and one half landed in the couple hours I had available.  I say half landed because as I went to handle him and remove the hook, he squirmed away and popped the hook on me.  Darn it!

That fish was my first ever Lake Ontario steelie and what battle it had in it!  A quick jolt out of my swinging cadence, 3 runs, and 5 butterfingers later makes me yearn for the next time I get to catch one of these beautiful fish.

A snag in the rocks ended my day but it was one of those days, like that first fish on the fly, that I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment