Sunday, January 13, 2013

1/11-1/12 Report

Just have a couple of notes from having a chance to sling some flies around at Oatka for a couple hours each of the last two days.

1/11
Air was 44F and Garbutt gauge was ~3.1 ft.  I had tied up some chartreuse and black single and double bunnies for the occasion, but was skunked on those.  I'm still getting a feel for where the fish are in the winter, so I tried hitting the banks and the one area I knew to be deeper.  But alas, no luck on that occasion.

1/12
Air temp was 57F yesterday and what a wonderful day to be out as evidenced by the full parking lot! However, a glance at the Garbutt gauge may have told me to stay home.  I underestimated how much the recent snowmelt swells the creek as the gauge read ~3.9 ft, the highest I've ever fished!  As a result, the water was much murkier than I'm used to and I tried compensating with large nymphs on the walk up and a white double bunny on the way down.  Skunked again, but really, to have a day like that in the middle of winter was such a wonderful thing.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Dale - It's better to get out and fish, than to sit at home and wonder if you should!
    Any way....I have you on my blog roll. Keep up the great work. See you on the stream.
    Brian Bradfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Brian and thanks for the add! I'll be adding more shortly about my newest adventure, rod building!

    ReplyDelete