Thursday, December 20, 2012

Heavy rig casting (nymphs, streamers, sink tips, and maybe sinking lines?)



My post this morning got me thinking about all the trouble I had been having trying to cast heavy rigs.  Lefty's pointers in this video really helped me understand what I'm doing wrong.

It seems any slack line through the cast caused my major issues with line tangling and "jerkiness."  Well the jerk at the end of my normal back cast caused that slack line!  It isn't normally an issue with dries because they don't have the weight to jerk the line back and cause slack.

So the lessons learned are
1) make sure as much of the line is at the top of the water as you can with a roll cast
2) constant load on the rod during the back cast via a side-armed, circular motion (sounds like a Belgian style cast now that I think about it)
3) finish with a high overhead cast with a little pull on the end to help straighten out the leader
4) make the rod tip circle, not your hand

No comments:

Post a Comment